Sunday, March 25, 2012

**A MARINE SINCE BIRTH**

A MARINE SINCE BIRTH

“Rise and shine, exercise time”, that’s what my mom cried as I wiped cold from my eyes.  Wit my breath still hummin’; 50 pushups 100 crunches now time for mornin’ runnin’…a 5k to start my day.  I just turned 8 and I’m feelin’ great; I’m in tip top shape not even close to my prime, by the time I was 9 a 10k was cake.  I escaped from society’s statistical criminology with my athletic ability thanks to my father’s Marine mentality.  The man made a man out of me before I reached my teens.  He kept me focused on my dreams and with a mom like mine on his team, my confidence kept building.

In high school I was the cool captain that every man wanted to be and every woman wanted to be with.  I was the B.O.M.B. and I didn’t take anything from anybody.  If you showed respect towards me I returned the love respectably.  That’s the way I grew to believe life was meant to be.  Becoming a senior taught me how to be a leader.  In college I gained knowledge but learned little from the teachers.  Now here I stand a grown man workin’ on a  plan to put a some paper in my hand…legally.  I went and joined the Marines.

The Marines told me that I had to quit smokin’ but that’s like writin’ a love poem after your heart was just broken…impossible.  But I’ve never been so serious about something so serious…I need this.  So much anger and aggression, depression and stressin’ over what?...Nothin’.  After watchin’ my brother graduate with honors then lookin’ in his eyes and seein’ his mind was cleared from drama I knew that was my callin’.  I even cut my hair for the occasion.  I finally quit my job’ I feel my work there is done.  Now my focus is the gym; it's like I’m back to square one.  Some folks were born to be famous and some to never be seen.  Well I was born to be both, born to be a Marine.

J. WIGGINS AKA OFFICIAL
Copyright 2009 - PERSONAS OF A PROJECT POET - THE DIARY OF A BLACK MAN
Orders@Xlibris.com

No comments:

Post a Comment